Wednesday, December 19, 2012

the leeks that were not

A few weeks ago Nigel and I enjoyed the first of our leeks. They were pretty small. But we roasted them up like asparagus and they tasted great.
We thought that we should let them get bigger before we ate them all up.

Yesterday I was reading about how you should never plant leeks so that they are ready to be harvested in summer. The heat makes them go to seed and makes them tough and stringy.


I went out and had a look. Sure enough our leeks were going to seed. I pulled them all up and got a nice pile. I thought I would clean them all up and make a nice pot of potato leek soup.

By the time I finished salvaging what was edible I had about a cup of leek!

I threw it in a quiche.

Apparently it is important to plant the right things in the right season to get the best result.

 For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1


No comments:

Post a Comment