Friday, September 28, 2012

the green little green house

Aprons are out and gardening is in at the moment. Okay who am I kidding I have been slack on the aprons for quite some time.
I have however been up to some new projects. Nigel made us a wonderful little green house. The frame was already here stuck under some trees. He found some thick plastic and got to work.
It is so great. We pretend it is our own little conservatory and have breakfast out there together when we are both home in the mornings.
I have been doing a bit of "green" reading the last couple years. I have been inspired by Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and No Impact Man and slightly freaked out by Plastic Free (I haven't yet finished this book, I got too scared!)
So with all that green info in my back pocket we are trying to grow veggies from seed and take care that we are thinking about what is going into them right from the start.
We found a place not far from us that sells heirloom seeds, and have been getting our seedlings ready in the greenhouse to go outside when the last hint of frost has passed.
Some cool ideas we have found out and put into practice are growing our seeds in egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, and making our own newspaper "pots" for the bigger ones.
It all seems so much nicer than starting our seeds in plastic pots that may or may or be leaching who knows what into the plant!
Also nicer for the plant since at planting time they can just pop straight into the soil in what ever paper pot they are in at the moment.
 PS I am aware of the irony of trying to have a plastic free garden in a plastic green house!














1 comment:

  1. Yay!! New post! The pictures are so beneficial to understanding what you are up to. Kuddos. You will have a lovely garden this spring!

    ReplyDelete