Saturday, September 1, 2012

the caffeine

I have a problem with caffeine. The problem being that I dont usually have any, so when I do I am wired! I used to be an avid caffeine drinker. First Mountain Dew and then Diet Coke. For years I lived off my caffeine beverage of choice. I have been off it for about 5 years.
So this morning I popped a caffeine laden Excedrin to battle my headache. I now I am awake and out of bed at 7am. Partly due to the caffeine and partly due to jet-leg. I often wonder at the things I could accomplish in a day if I were to get up at such an early hour.
It is chilly in the mornings here in Woodville, NZ. A lovely 38F this morning. So first I put on my possum socks and wooly sweater and then put the jug on for a cup of hot tea. I made some Delicious Fig and Coconut Baked Oatmeal, see recipe below, got the quilt and computer and sat down to blog.
I thought blogging a better choice than waking my soundly sleeping husband up with my caffeine induced morning chatter.
So... 8am. No one up around here on a sunday morning except me and the birds. Even the cat has abandoned me for the cozy warm bed.
I will wait for the Oatmeal to bake, enjoy my cuppa and see what Catherine is up to. My first time reading Jane Austens Northanger Abbey.

Baked Oatmeal.....very loosely based on a weight watchers recipe. Feeds 4

1 1/2 C old fashioned oats
1/4C dried figs
1/4 C dried coconut
3T raw sugar
1t baking powder
1/2t cinnamon
pinch of salt

1/4 c plain yogurt
1/4 milk
2 small eggs (or one large)
1 T oil
1 t vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another then mix together. Pour into a greased baking dish 8x8. Bake 30 min at 350F or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool ten min then serve with some milk pour over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment