Thursday, April 18, 2013

the seed of hope

In a frivolous act of optimism I planted tulip bulbs for spring. To cover a seed with soil is to demonstrate faith in the future. Tearing out weeds,watering,and nurturing the sleeping seeds are acts of trust in nature. When a green shoot appears the gardener experiences a similar rush to one who has given birth. Gardening is the closest some people get to feeling like a god. To watch a seedling spout and unfurl into a flower or a vegetable is to take part in a miracle. The gardener also learns acceptance of decay and death. To almost welcome a season of withdrawal as part of the cycle."
A quote from "Cleo" by Helen Brown.


" Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
I have been thinking about hope. It seems crazy to have hope sometimes. I wonder where it comes from. The hope I, sometimes, have is in spite of all rational thought. It is at odds with the world around me.
This earth lost a dear soul last month. My passionate friend TJ passed from this life to the next while giving birth to her beautiful baby boy.  I am so very sad about the loss of TJ. She is greatly missed by so many. It makes no sense. There are no answers to the why questions. My heart breaks.
And yet, at times in the misdt of it all I find Hope. A hand reaching out with a gift of faith for hope in the future. Hope that TJ is in a better place. Hope that someday I will see her again.

And so I plant bulbs in honor of TJ. I plant them randomly all over. So when the winter is over and spring comes there will be blooms of hope scattered all around me. I will remember TJ. I will remember her love for the Church, her passion for Truth, and her amazing laugh.





No comments:

Post a Comment