Wednesday, March 2, 2011

the bag of sugar

Nigel and I are down in Florida with the Jesus Kitchen and friends. Then other day Nigel and I hit the thrift store jack pot. There was a few mile stretch with a thrift store on every block.
I love to look for books at the second hand stores. I found some good ones this time around, a dictionary for a dollar, a copy of the Poisonwood Bible(My favorite book, I always give it away and have to buy a new copy every couple years or so), and I found a Little House on the Prairie book. Somehow I have made it this far in life without reading the little house books. I know crazy right!

So in Little House Pa works all winter trapping animals for their fur. Then in the spring he makes the big trip to town to sell his furs and to get supplies and the things he needs for planting. On this trip he brings Ma home a bag of white sugar. Apparently back then white sugar was not the white death it is today and was a very prized possesion. Now what does Ma do with that sugar. She puts it safely away in the cupboard to be brought out only when company comes. Then they can have white sugar in their coffee instead of molasses.

I want to be a person who shares my bag of white sugar. So often I get something special and I hide it away for myself. I would never think of taking out my special treat when company comes. I mean then it would all get eaten up! And its another whole winter of trapping animals and that long trip to town. Oh wait, that's right, i can always get more at the supermarket.

I am challenged by the Ingalls family.

1 comment: